Breaking Out Of A Bad Mood

The Divine Within

There are so many factors that contribute to a bad mood. On the bright side, there are also a lot of ways to turn that frown upside down!

Mia Galex, Staff Writer

Sometimes snapping out of a bad mood can be difficult, making the day stretch on for hours. But it doesn’t have to feel this way! Next time your feeling down don’t just sit around and wait for it to pass; instead, take precaution by figuring out what is putting you in a bad mood and how to get over it.

These are the five most common causes of bad moods and here’s how to break out of them:

1. Low Self-Esteem Tends to Fluctuate.  Some mornings you wake up feeling confident, and you just know the day is going to rock! Other days your hair or skin does not look as good and everything feels upside down.  Confidence can have a great influence over your emotions and dictate your day.  One way to up your self-esteem is to take part in an activity that makes you feel good, like going to the gym, hanging out with friends, or wearing something you feel confident in.

2. Drama, Drama and More Drama. High school students are notorious for their drama, so it is no wonder that brooding is common. When you cannot stop replaying negative conversations or criticizing every single bad thing that has happened all day, use distractions to reduce the frequency. Engaging in strategy games like Sudoku has been known for boosting moods.

3. Exhaustion is Often Overlooked as a Mood Trigger.  Lack of sleep can impact the way you think.  Luckily, a short 15-minute power nap can recharge the body and snap you out of your funk!

“I never get more than four hours of sleep that’s my biggest mood killer.  So during the weekend I just take a bunch of naps and sleep in until the afternoon,” sophomore Nestor Guillen said.

4. Guilt is Another Popular Emotion Associated with Teenagers.  No matter how small the guilt may be, it can have a huge impact on overall mood.  The most efficient way to resolve guilty feelings is to atone for your actions.

5. Outstanding Tasks can Really be a Downer.  When it’s the end of the day, you have finished all your work and all of a sudden you remember that email you forgot to send, or that one assignment that still needs doing. All of a sudden you’re stressed once again.  Instead of jumping out of bed and sending that email, try making a mental note of some things you will work on the next day.

School causes a lot of stress. So when I can’t deal with all the studying I turn to video games because it is like an escape.

— sophomore Sam White said.

Next time you are in a bad mood take the time to ask yourself: What can I do to feel better?  Most of the time small choices can make or break your mood.  So if you are feeling a little down the solution can be as simple as taking a walk or listening to some music.