First Female Gablette Sweetheart

Adele Raymo

A Gablette and her Sweetheart enjoying each other’s presence while creating memories.

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

Gables very own senior Gablette Adele Raymo and Sweetheart Catalina Saavedra are leaving a trademark in Gables history as Saavedra will be joining the rest of the members for the annual Gablettes Sweetheart team. The Gablette Sweethearts were created in the school year 1979-1980. Traditionally,  the Sweethearts consisted of senior boys. However, if there was a boy on the team, in that case female seniors were allowed to become Sweethearts. The Gablette Sweethearts are typically students who are involved in school activities, athletics and most importantly, support the Gablettes. They perform with the Gablettes in pep rallies, dance shows and sometimes travel with the team to competitions.

Gablettes and their Sweethearts having fun at the annual Sweetheart Picnic.
Adele Raymo

Saavedra and Raymo have been friends since freshman year. This unbreakable bond started when they met in their biology class and instantly clicked. Saavedra’s response when Raymo asked her to be her Gablette Sweetheart was an ultimate “yes.” Mrs. Montes was actually quite accepting of  Raymo’s decision to ask Saavedra to be one of her sweethearts. At the end of the day, Mrs. Montes just wanted to find someone who would take it seriously and support the Gablettes and Saavedra was the perfect fit. What made Raymo come to the conclusion that she wanted Saavedra to be a part of the Gablettes Sweethearts is that Saavedra had always been supportive of Raymo and Riley Flores (fellow Gablette member) and has “sick” dance moves.

“I think it’s awesome being the first female sweetheart. I definitely never thought I would be the one, but I like to think that I’ve made Gables history. Honestly, it feels pretty surreal,” senior Catalina Saavedra said.

Gables will be looking forward to seeing its first female Sweetheart in action! With lots of adventures and work ahead, the Gablette Sweethearts are looking forward to a memorable senior year.