Getting a Head Start on Summer

Its+time+to+get+a+head+start+on+summer+plans%21+

Mariam Ahumada

It’s time to get a head start on summer plans!

Mariam Ahumada, Staff Writer

It’s finally that time again! Get ready to start counting down for summer! It is never too early to get a head start for the vacation, especially in the month of March when so many summer program applications are reaching their deadlines. With only about 80 days until graduation, and 87 days until the first day of summer, it is finally time to begin preparations, and luckily for all Gables’s students, here are just a few ideas how.

The “Payed-in-Community-Service” Programs:

• Shake-A-Leg: Shake-A-Leg is a non-profit organization that believes in the use of the marine environment to better the health and independence of children and adults with physical, developmental and economic challenges. This non-profit has an amazing summer program that can serve as a great and productive way of completing your community service hours (remember there is a 20 hour requirement for graduation!). Plus, what better way of spending your summer than doing something that is self fulfilling! For more information on their summer camp programs click here.
  • Coral Gables Museum: Recently the Coral Gables Museum created a program called “The Museum Project”, which allows dedicated young adults to organize and contribute toward the Coral Gables Museum events. There are a variety of activities to participate in and each one serves as a great learning experience. For more information, please visit their website.

Well this summer, May really, I’m gong to start working because my parents have agreed to buy me a car but the catch is that I have to pay for the insurance. I’ll also be volunteering at the Kendall library because I love the atmosphere and it’s a great way to just relax and still help my community.

— junior Amanda Lopez said.

“All About College Credit” Programs:

• Sullivan/Ansin High School Journalism & New Media Workshop: For those students interested in communications, the University of Miami is having a two week workshop in July for students interested in achieving a career in this area. Those accepted would work alongside fellow students, and work towards producing a printed newspaper and website. For more information check out the UM website.

The University of Miami, like FIU, have great credit opportunities, not just in communications, so definitely feel free to do some research because they are worth the trouble!

• Take Stock in Children: Interested in social media? Take Stock in Children is a non-profit organization who purpose is to help low-income minority families escape the cycle of poverty through education. Year around they are searching for volunteers, and are recently in need of interns willing to manage their advertisement through social media. So, if you’re interested in marketing and advertisement this would be a great internship to look into.

Cashing Out: Now, for those students that are looking into paying internships, or jobs, it is also important to start looking into them now. As the summer approaches, companies will begin to receive lots of job applications, and getting a head start before their job slots run out is a great idea!

Summer might be only a few months away, but with all these amazing opportunities coming up it’s a great idea to get started as soon as possible.