College: In, Out and About

Contemplating+between+in-state%2C+out+of+state%2C+and+international+may+be+a+difficult%2C+but+necessary+decision.+

Cameryn Padron, Kelly Hanley, and Orestes Gonzalez

Contemplating between in-state, out of state, and international may be a difficult, but necessary decision.

Mariam Ahumada, Staff Writer

Florida State University (FSU) is a recognized school for its arts, humanities, and recognized leadership in the sciences.
http://www.hercampus.com/school/ufl/uf-vs-fsu-taking-over-tallahassee
Florida State University (FSU) is a famous school known for its arts and humanities. It is also recognized for their leadership in the sciences.

Choosing a college location is just as important as choosing the college itself. With options ranging from in-state, out of state and international it can be easy to sell yourself short. Luckily, here is a break down on all there is to know about picking the perfect location for you!

The Ins and Outs of In-State: Staying home, or within the state, can sometimes feel like a do-over of the last four years, but it’s actually not. Just because you stay in-state doesn’t mean you’ll miss out on a college experience. Schools in northern Florida, like Florida State University and the University of Florida, are great schools where one can get the complete college experience.

• Advantages:  In-state can sometimes be the easier alternative. Not only are friends and family at driving distance, but it is a cheaper alternative, especially for low-income families. This is because of a little something called in-state tuition. In-state tuition is a financial aid that is given to students who are state residents. This means that in order to apply for the aid, the student must live and pay the state’s taxes. For more information on in-state tuition vs. out of state tuition click here.
    University of Florida is largely known fro the college experience it provides for its students, with a 95.8% student satisfaction rate.
    http://spacecoastdaily.com
    University of Florida is largely known for the college experience it provides for its students, with a 95.8% student satisfaction rate.

Duke University is a great school, largely recognized for its academic excellence in business, engineering, law, and medicine.
    carolinabilitz.com
  • Disadvantages: While in-state might be more financially favorable, it can be hard to experience new things and get that independent feel; especially when you stay within the city you’ve known all your life.

“My reason for applying instate were mostly because of financial reasons, and I definitely recommend next years seniors do the same. It’s a great option for graduate school, especially if you do not have the financial ability to go out of state,” senior Mitch Gajardo said.

Going far Out with Out of State: It can sometimes be hard to be your own person when you live close enough to your parents that you can send them your laundry. Let’s be honest, you probably still will, but it’s definitely harder.

• Advantages: Going out of state might just be the easiest way of gaining independence. Not to mention, it’s an opportunity to explore another part of the US, and experience unpredictable weather!
  • Disadvantages: Going out of state means a lot of responsibility. This means no more homemade dinners and clean, neatly folded laundry. Not to mention, the price of room and board is higher which also means you should probably get used to having roommates.

The University of California Los Angeles is a recognized large public school.
    collegemagazine.com

Take it International: Going to college in another country is by far the most enlightening option out of the three.

• Advantages: It’s true that America is a culturally diverse country, but if you really want to fully experience a certain culture, then go international! Not only are you completely independent at this point, but you can also get to learn a new language.

Oxford University in England is a internationally recognized university that is considered one of the most beautiful colleges in the world.
    today.com
  • Disadvantages: It’s also important to keep in mind that it can be a rather lonely experience at first. Not only might you not know the national language, but it can be hard to get accustomed to the new way of life in an unknown country.

“Traveling is a kind of education that is experienced, it helps you gain perspective of the world around you, helps you realize how different and yet similar we all are, helps you learn how you handle stressful situations, and also gives you a kind of insight that can only be understood if you travel and do so with an open mind. Studying abroad is a great way for young people to get out there and learn about themselves by learning about others. I recommend it to everyone,” chemistry teacher Ms. Kiely said.

So ask yourself: would you rather live in a familiar place, or start from scratch and make new experiences in a completely new scenery?

The worst thing you can possibly do when choosing a college is selling yourself short. With so many options, choosing a college can be a daunting task. So what’s it going to be? In-state, out of state, or international?