Thomas Mikell: The Balance Between Hockey and School

Thomas+Mikell+training+in+Keystone%2C+Colorado.+

Thomas Mikell

Thomas Mikell training in Keystone, Colorado.

Mariam Ahumada, Staff Writer

Being both an accomplished student and a successful athlete is a struggle sophomore Thomas Mikell knows all too well. As both a hockey player and pre-IB student Mikell works hard to handle the two aspects of his life he puts most worth in.

Q: What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

A: I play hockey.

Q: Anything else?

A: Not really.

Q: How do you find the balance between school and extracurricular activities? 

A: It’s pretty tricky at times being in [pre-]IB, you know there’s a lot of work, and playing hockey. It’s a long drive to the rink to play and practice. I play four times a week minimum, so I’m always busy.

Q: When did you start playing hockey and why? 

A: I started playing when I was around four or five. My dad took me to the rink for a father-son session, that’s what they called it. Since then I’ve loved the game.

Q: What made you take such a liking to the sport and what role does it take up in your life?

A: It plays a big role in my life for sure. I want to, you know, really go far in it. I have friends and teammates that are playing on [the U.S. national hockey team] right now, and they’re really good.

Q: Besides hockey what other hobbies do you have? 

A: I like to sleep, I guess. I play video games every now and then.

Q: Do you have any advice for freshmen who are handling both school and extracurricular activities? 

A: Yeah, to try and manage your time wisely because if you don’t it might mess up your grades.

Evidently, Thomas Mikell has accomplished a balance between the academics and athletic aspects of his life, a task that poses difficulties for many.