The New Girl On The Block

Yeileny Lopez

Moira Meijaard

Junior Moira Meijaard in taekwondo class.

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

Taekwondo black belt Moira Meijaard transferred to Gables from International Studies Charter High School (ISCH). This IB junior is happy to be a cavalier and can’t wait to attend all the fun activities and events Gables has to offer! Excited by these new opportunities, Meijaard puts her best foot forward for the 2015-2016.

Q: Why did you transfer schools?

A: ISCH is a really small school and one of the kind of problems with that is when you get to the advanced classes, you start running out. For example, this year I’m taking Calculus AC which wasn’t even offered at my school. I’m also taking AP Lit which was offered but only for seniors, so in twelfth grade I would have to go back down to English 4 Honors. I wanted a more challenging curriculum than just honors, so I applied to the IB program.

Q: How has the transition process been so far?

A: It’s been good! I know a lot of people so far from elementary and middle school and they welcomed me with open arms, which was great because when you enter a new school and you don’t know that many people it’s difficult. So by knowing other kids it’s just a nice environment because they can introduce you to other kids and it’s just smoother all together.

Q: What do you miss most about ISCH?

A: My old friends and a couple of teachers definitely because you are always going to miss the people you used to see every single day and talked to. Now you can still text and call them but it’s not the same as face to face. And I definitely miss the cultures because ISCH is an international school so you will hear different languages like French and Italian constantly and here it’s mostly English and Spanish.

Q: How do you feel the classes you took at ISCH compare to the ones here?

A: The AP classes – some of them – I feel like they are a lot more difficult than the ones here but definitely the IB beats all of the honors classes that I used to take.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?

A: Yeah, I do martial arts outside of school and I’m a black belt, and I have competed in stage championships, so I really enjoy that. I also enjoy swimming and running. I want to join the track team this year.