Workouts for That Summer Body

Cavan Wilson, Staff Writer

• Dip and Crunch

• Dip and Crunch

• Dip and Crunch

• Plank Tap

• Plank Tap

• Burpees

• Burpees

• Burpees

• Burpees

• High Knees

• High Knees

• Get-Ups

• Get-Ups

The year is coming to a close, and that means its time to head outdoors and enjoy the sun. Summer is a great time to head to the pool and beach. Unfortunately, with all the focus on schoolwork for these last nine weeks, you may have put on a little unwanted flab. Luckily, CavsConnect has some great workouts for you to try so that you can get back in shape for the next few hot months. These workouts are sure to make you feel great and prepared for this summer.

“It is very hot in the summer, so you want to be fit enough that the heat doesn’t exhaust you and to make sure you look good. It is great to get your body in shape and is really good for your health, especially your heart,” freshman Lennox Verdecia said.

Dip and Crunch: For this exercise, you should be belly up with only your palms and the back of your heels touching the ground. Your fingers should be facing towards your feet and the rest of your body should be kept elevated from the ground. Slowly lower your body to the ground as much as you can without touching the ground; then, lift yourself back up. Next, bring one of your knees up to your chest and repeat. You can bring only one leg up per set and switch legs for the next set or you can alternate within a set. Two to six sets of six to 12 reps are recommended.

Plank Tap: In this exercise you will start on your side with your left forearm pointed out from your body. Put you right hand on your right hip and then raise your body off the ground. At the same time, stretch your right hand straight up in the air. Next, come back down, briefly touch the ground and repeat. Make sure to switch to your other side on the next set. This exercise is a great workout for your shoulders, abs and legs. Two to six sets of five to 10 reps are recommended.

High Knees: During this exercise, you will bring one of your knees up as high as you can, do the same with the other knee and repeat. Make sure you move your legs at a fast pace and keep your arms pumping as well. There are a couple of ways to vary this workout. You can chose to do this while staying in place or you can do it while progressively moving. It is recommended that you do this for about 30 seconds to a minute for 5-10 sets.

“Make sure to lean back, bring your knees all the way to your chest, and move your arms with your legs as well. High knees help strengthen your core and stretch your quads,” junior Julian Obregon said.

Burpees: To start off this exercise get in push up position.  Then, bring your legs up to your arms in a jumping motion, keeping your legs inside of your arms. Put both hands straight up in the air and jump. Then go back into push up position and repeat the exercise. Make sure you repeat this exercise fairly quickly, as it is meant to build up your endurance as well as arm and leg muscles. 10-30 burpees for five to 10 sets is recommended.

“I do burpees to stay fit and improve my arm muscles. Make sure to keep a steady pace while doing burpees as they become very tiring,” freshman Gabriella Adams said.

Get-Ups: This exercise starts standing straight, with one leg extended at as close to 90 degrees as you can. Slowly lower yourself down on your remaining leg until you are in about in a sitting position and the come back up to the starting position. Remember to switch legs for every set and you may also need another person or object to help maintain your balance. You should probably do about 10-20 reps for four to eight sets for this exercise.

Hopefully you now have some great new exercises to put in your workout plan to gear up for the summer. Maybe even doing these exercises to get in shape for the summer will help you find that you enjoy being fit and exercising and cause you to keep pushing your body after summer. Make sure to take the exercises slow and at your level. You need to push yourself, but you don’t want to injure yourself while doing it. Now go out and enjoy the sun with your fresh and fit summer body.