6 Things You Didn’t Know About Gables!

Bhargavi Pochi

One of the many bomb shelters scattered around school. This one can be spotted right outside of the dance room!

Bhargavi Pochi, Staff Writer

Established in 1950, Gables is one of the oldest schools in Miami. With such a long history, it is no surprise that there are so many interesting facts about this school. Here are six things you probably didn’t know about Gables:

#1 Gables was built based on unique blueprints. The design of the building was inspired by Spanish architecture. This foreign influence can be seen today in the school’s open courtyards that are decorated with fountains.

#2 It’s common knowledge that the standard uniform Polo-style shirts are black, white, red and gray, but what many people don’t know is that two out of those four colors are not actually school colors. The original school colors are only crimson and gray.

#3 It’s no secret that Gables has a diverse population. You can find people from all around the world at Gables, but what are the actual demographics? Out of approximately 3,600 students, 82% are Hispanic, 9% white, 7% black and 1% Asian.

#4 Gables has been home to several successful athletic alumni. John Pennel, class of 1958, was a notable pole vaulter who to this day holds 11 world records, and is a two-time Olympian. Another memorable Gables athlete is Jimmy Arguello, a professional dancer on So You Think You Can Dance.

#5 Gables’s coat of arms can be seen all around school, but do you know what the image symbolizes? The book represents knowledge, the clasped hands symbolize companionship, the winged foot represents athletics, and the word Dirigo is latin for “I lead.”

#6 Probably one of the most interesting facts about Gables is that it used to be a bomb shelter during World War II, after the attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. Many of the underground rooms are still present at Gables, and even some of the classrooms we sit in were once used as safe rooms for citizens! That is why many classrooms can be seen with no windows, like room 4126.

“It’s really intense that Gables used to be a bomb shelter. If for any reason Gables gets bombed, we got this!” senior Daniella Rodriguez said.

We attend a very unique school with rich history and cultural diversity. There are bound to be more hidden secrets within its walls!