Gables’ New Spirited Leader

Spirited leader, Valerie Montesino takes Gables to new heights.

Valerie Montesino

Lane Morris, Staff Writer

Junior Valerie Montesino is the girl who can always be seen busy and running around the campus. She is always ready to help anyone, and she does so with a  big smile on her face. She is currently part of the Communications, Arts, Film, & Digital Media Academy (CAF&DM), and as she energetically states, she is loving Gables!

Montesino is highly involved in both yearbook and Student Government. She joined yearbook the summer before her freshman year. It allowed her to meet new people, and get to know her way around campus before the school year even began.  As a writer, she has attended many school events that have made her realize how much she truly loves Gables.

As the year went on, she was eager to have a bigger role in yearbook. When the time came, she decided to apply for the Business Manager position, because she has a love for management.

“Fortunately, that’s exactly what happened; I enjoy being on the business side of the yearbook world,” she said.

Those who know Montesino can easily attest to the fact that she has a  love for baseball. Although she is more interested in the business aspects, she continues to help do the baseball spreads for the yearbook. She really enjoys the sport because it reminds her of all the good times she spent with her grandfather, and how she really connected with him through baseball.

When Valerie heard about Student Government her freshman year, she was intrigued. After much contemplation she decided to run for the treasurer position.

” From the day I got the position, I have been more involved [in Gables],” Montesino said.

In her sophomore and junior year, she continued to be a part of Student Government, but this year she decided to take a risk and run for for Student Council President. Once again, Valerie was able to acquire the position and will be the Student Council President for the 2014-2015 school year.

“I’ve learned that you will not always work with people you like and that’s okay. I’ve learned from having different positions that titles don’t define the work load one has but to keep a sense of responsibility, organization, and respect amongst a group of people,” Montesino said.

Although Valerie is excited to be the new Student Council President, she admits that she is nervous about the work load coming her way, even though she knows that she will receive plenty of  support from the Student Council Board and Student Activities members.

“Being under the wings of such a wonderful president, Patricia Passwaters, I’ve learned that although we are very independent individuals, learning to delegate work to your board is a must to get through the year,” Montesino said.

She also plans to keep the spirit Gables has alive and to do anything in her power to make one’s years in high school the best.

Outside of school she spends lots of time with her family and friends, and sometimes volunteers at her church as well. Valerie Montesino also talks about her love for where she is from, Cuba. As soon she gets in her car, she blasts her music and wishes that more parties would play her “latina jams.”

“I will never be ashamed of where my family came from. I love my culture and wouldn’t change it for the world. I especially love to dance,” Montesino said.

After Gables, she plans to attend a university but is not completely sure what she wants to study yet. She would love to go into Finance and Accounting, but her ultimate goal is to feel happy no matter what she decides to do.  Another high priority on her list is to give back to Gables and donate whether it be monetary funds, time, goods, etc.

When she was asked about her inspiration she didn’t hesitate to say her grandmother. One of the main lessons that she takes to heart is that no matter what you may go through in life, good or bad, you will learn from it. If you want something, you work hard for it. She also said that her grandmother is a person who is always there for her and who always has time for her.

It is clear that Gables will be in good hands next year under the leadership of junior Valerie Montesino. With her positive attitude and high energy, she has proven that she can motivate her fellow classmates to become involved and give back to the school.