A Big Sister With A Big Heart

How well do we know the people who walk among us every day? Other than the usual gossip and the insincere smiles, it is no lie that we tend to keep to ourselves. However, on a constant basis we fail to reserve our judgment. These outward persecutions ultimately prohibit us from understanding the situations of others.

Daniela Ramirez exemplifies that we are oblivious to the world that does not revolve around us, oblivious to the fact that everyone has a story. Daniela moved to the United States from Colombia at eight years old with her one-year-old sister Sara and her mom. The transition was not an easy one considering the English language was foreign to her. At the start of school in this new country she was placed in ESOL classes. But that didn’t last very long because when fifth grade came around two teachers, Ms.Suarez and Mr. Santiago, saw a lot of potential in her and decided to put her in regular classes. Instantly, with her hard work and dedication the English rules had its way of encoding itself into her head and in sixth grade she was placed in all honors courses.

At age 17 she now attends Coral Gables Senior High School where she challenges herself with AP courses. Having her as a classmate I never would’ve guessed all the challenges she had to endure before getting to where she is now. Daniela believed the biggest obstacle had been moving to a new country and all the changes it brought along. Until one Saturday where she witnessed her now seven-year-old sister, Sarah having a seizure.

“I was devastated. I didn’t know what was going on. To be honest, I thought she was dying and I felt so bad I couldn’t do anything to help her,” Daniela said.

Soon after Sara’s first episode, she was diagnosed with epilepsy. Distressed and uneducated Daniela began to research the cause of epilepsy along with the different treatments that could be provided. “I wanted to know more about her illness so that next time something like that would happen I would know the different steps to take. I wished more than anything that I could take her place. There was nothing worse for me than seeing my little sister suffer. It hurt even more to think that she believed people would make fun of her because of this.”

Toward the ending of her sophomore year, Daniela received a text message from her mom during english. Sara had yet another seizure, except this time there no waking her up. While Sara was in the hospital Daniela began her internet searches once again where she found a walk for epilepsy that would take place in Crandon Park. Determined, she decided she wanted to gather up a big group to attend the walk with her.

Immediately she took action and spoke to several club advisors throughout the school. She began to put up posters, sell t-shirts, and recruit students to attend the walk. When Sarah was discharged, Daniela took her to the walk. There, Sarah’s eyes filled with tears as she saw Daniela’s classmates walking beside her wearing purple “Team Sara” shirts.

“Their presence shows my sister that she is not alone, and that epilepsy is nothing to be made fun of. Her feeling of being reassured was all I wanted out of this.” Hand in hand they completed the walk together.

This is the story of Daniela Ramirez, a determined student, but most of all a loving sister.