Doctor Strange

Dr. Stranges movie poster gives a glimpse of the mind blowing special effects that are in it.

Wikipedia.org

Dr. Strange’s movie poster gives a glimpse of the mind blowing special effects that are in it.

Nicolas Schmidt, Staff Writer

Release Date: November 4, 2016

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Director: Scott Derrickson

Writing Credits: Scott Derrickson, C. Robert Cargill, Jon Spaiht

Stars: Benedict Cumberbatch (Stephen Strange), Chiwetel Ejiofor (Karl Mordo), Rachel McAdams (Christine Palmer), Benedict Wong (Wong), Tilda Swinton (the Ancient One), Mads Mikkelsen (Kaecilius) and more.

Our Rating: A

It was hard to imagine how Marvel could top Captain America: Civil War. However, they clearly nailed it with their newest film, Doctor Strange. Doctor Strange is worth watching, even if you are not into superheroes.

Doctor Strange is a rich, arrogant, and egotistical person. Being a very complex character to portray, not many actors could present him well. Cumberbatch successfully brings the character to life with his snarky comments and criticism. The story has been modernized a little bit but Dr. Strange still goes through the realization that he needs to be a better person and that he must help everyone that he can. Tilda Swinton also delivers an excellent performance as “The Ancient One.” The light humor and mystery that she brought to the role kept the audience entertained. In summary, the cast did an amazing job and proved that they were the right choice for the job.

I think they could’ve done a little more in terms of story, but I still liked it,

— Framil Diaz

Even though the cast was great, they don’t deserve all of the credit. The writers flawlessly adapted the comic series for the big screen. They did this by keeping the backstory to a minimum, only giving the necessary insight into the characters’ past to obtain a cohesive storyline. That way they didn’t waste precious movie time on the origin of Doctor Strange. There is also plenty of credit to be given to the special effects team at Marvel Studios. They were able to recreate multiple worlds in a way that makes the audience believe that it was real.

“The movie was great, at times I was confused but I still enjoyed it,” sophomore Kevin Alvarez said.

Doctor Strange is only the second of Marvel’s “Phase 3” of films. Next up in Marvel’s list are: Guardians of the Galaxy, Spiderman, and Thor movies. However, fans wonder if they will be able to reach the high bar that Marvel has set itself with their previous films. Doctor Strange expands on the Marvel Cinematic Universe in ways that are unimaginable. If Marvel keeps going down this path for its upcoming movies, then fans have nothing to worry about.