Betty White: A Forever Loved Icon

Sofia Felan

Betty White one of the oldest and most loved women in the entertainment industry, passes away just before her 100th birthday.

Audrey Lezcano, Copy Editor

Over the past 82 years, Betty White has brought joy to the hearts of many generations. With her main roles in famous television shows along with her various appearances on game shows and much more, she was a big name in the industry. On Dec. 31, 2021, at age 99, White passed away of natural causes.

White had been in the entertainment business since 1939 and won the Guinness World Record for the longest television career by a female entertainer. She was most well known for her role as Rose Nylund on “Golden Girls” and Sue Ann Nivens on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”. She also had her own shows: “The Betty White Show” and her last show “Betty White’s Off Their Rockers”. White also appeared on game shows such as “Password”, “The Match Game”, “Just Men!” and much more. It is no surprise White was also known as “The First Lady of Television” and “The First Lady of Game Shows”.

I believe that the passing of Betty White was very devastating because she was an amazing person and ally of the LGBTQ+ community as well as an advocate for the rights of African-Americans and the discrimination they face As well as being in amazing shows like golden girls and another world which are still amazing shows till this day,

— sophomore Tamya Wallace

Despite her age, many were shocked by the passing of this beloved star. “Even though Betty was about to be 100, I thought she would live forever,” White’s agent Jeff Witjas said. Many old friends and co-stars were devastated and took to social media to express this grief. “She was great at defying expectations. She managed to grow very old and somehow, not old enough. We’ll miss you, Betty. Now you know the secret,” co-star Ryan Reynolds said.

“I think it’s so tragic that Betty White died, she was such an amazing soul and funny. She’ll be so missed and will never be forgotten,” freshman Catherine Romero said.

Not only were those who knew her personally affected, those who grew up watching the shows and movies she was a part of were devastated. Many took to Instagram stories and Twitter to express their sadness and grief of losing someone who was such an important part of their childhood. Overall, since the moment of her passing those on social media made sure to show their grief and continued memory of White.

White was just short of her 100th birthday on Jan. 17. She was making big plans to celebrate this day. A movie entitled “Betty White: 100 Years Young – a Birthday Celebration” was meant to air as a celebration of her 100th year of life. This movie will still air on Jan 17 and all celebrations in her honor will continue.

White will forever leave a loving mark on the hearts of everyone that knew her. During her lifetime she was not only an inspiration to women but to everyone. She broke world records and won various awards showing how much she accomplished in her almost 100 years of life. White once said as her character Nylund “My mother always used to say, ‘The older you get, the better you get. Unless you’re a banana.’” She is truly an icon that will forever be remembered and missed.