Call of Duty: Warzone- Bravo Six, Going Strong

Japheth Oyedepo

Call of Duty Warzone is the franchise’s latest hit.

Japheth Oyedepo, Staff Writer

Release Date: March 10, 2020

Developers: Activision, Infinity Ward

Grade: A

Call of Duty is arguably the most recognizable video game franchise across the world. Whether it is staked in controversy or exalted in the gaming world, Call of Duty makes headlines everywhere it goes. More recently, it has taken its second shot in the battle royale category with its game Call of Duty: Warzone. Fortunately, this game hit dead on.

Call of Duty: Warzone is a battle royale extension of the already existing game, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. However, unlike its predecessor in its genre, Call of Duty: Blackout, Warzone is treated as a standalone game. Its announcement came a a couple of days before its release Tuesday, March 10. This tactic has been used by other game developers such as Respawn Entertainment with their battle royale game: Apex Legends. Nevertheless, the limited marketing strategy seemed to have worked as its popularity skyrocketed the game to stardom.

Warzone currently has two modes: Battle Royale and Plunder.  Players drop down from a military plane and land onto an island. They must pick up weapons and use them to eliminate other players. One can stock up on armor and ammunition to aid their fight against other players. The last team standing wins the game.

The lobby of Call of Duty Warzone shows its two primary game modes, Battle Royale and Plunder.

Plunder uses the Battle Royale idea integrated with a different approach. In this version, players must collect cash found around the map and the first to one million dollars in cash wins the game. When someone is eliminated, they immediately respawn with less cash. The cash found can be deposited in deposit balloons that are brought by helicopters, found in chests and bought at stations.

There are several new and interesting mechanics in Call of Duty: Warzone. When someone gets eliminated, they are sent to the Gulag, a prison where they fight another eliminated player. If they win they return back to the map with nothing in their inventory. If they lose, they are out. However, there is still a way for them to come back. Their teammates can buy them back at buy stations using cash found around the map. This cash can also buy killstreaks in the game. These include  added weapons, such as aerial missile strikes and Unarmed Aerial Vehicles.

“The quick movements and fast pace keep the game at its best,” freshman Bryan Guillen said.

With all of these elements, the game surprisingly does not feel overwhelming. The large map is balanced out by the vehicles set to use for transportation such as ATV’s, trucks and helicopters. There is no extremely overpowered weapon because all have their strengths and weaknesses. Helicopters can be easily shot down, making sure that no one person is kept flying above the map for the entire game. Gameplay itself is fast paced and there is never a dull moment. The addition of those elements and more sets itself out as a unique game in comparison to games such as Fortnite, Apex Legends and Player Unknown Battlegrounds, who are already giants in the battle royale genre.

“I like how easy it is for new players. I enjoy that it is realistic and that it has a unique buy and revive system, freshman David Ake said.

The Call of Duty franchise is one that will be perpetually recognized by gamers across the world. It is known for its best qualities such as its gameplay, feel and militarized look. In recent years, the franchise has gone up and down the slope of success. However, the latest installment definitively put Call of Duty back on the map.