Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

This is the photo Jacob's grandfather showed him about a pair of freakish twins that he used to live with.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com
This is the photo Jacob’s grandfather showed him about a pair of freakish twins that he used to live with.

Our Rating: A+

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs is the first book in a mystical series for imaginative readers. The story follows Jacob, a 16 year old boy who suffers from psychological issues, who goes on an adventure to find  answers to questions about his grandfather’s childhood. Ever since Jacob was little, his grandfather would tell him stories about his childhood, but they weren’t your typical stories. The stories contain children who have peculiar abilities.

What readers love about this book is the anticipation. Riggs is very efficient in grabbing readers’ attention by creating suspense. In many cases, readers don’t know exactly what is happening until Riggs reveals more details later on. Excitement is also created when Jacob encounters his first monster with his friend, Ricky, but Jacob is the only one who sees it. Throughout the book, Jacob meets with his psychologist to talk about his dreams, which contain the monster he saw. As you can tell, Jacob isvery traumatized by his dreams and wants to go to the Welsh orphanage where his grandfather lived to find out answers.

Another feature that makes this book very unique is the photos Riggs incorporates into the story. Readers love the vintage, creepy photos because they add an element of mystery that makes the story line even more unique.  The gallery of photos provide a visual to readers of the peculiar children with abnormal abilities. Imaginative fans really enjoy this because they can connect more with the book through the images.

“The best part of the book was definitely the images because they brought the whole book to life, and it made me feel like I was one of the characters,” freshman Nelsa Tejada said.

This is another of photo Jacob's grandfather who show Jacob every time he would tell him stories.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com
This is another photo Jacob’s grandfather would show Jacob every time he would tell him stories.
This is Emma, a girl who can control fire with her hands. She is also 88 years old but looks like a teenager.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com
This is Emma, a girl who can control fire with her hands. She is 88 years old, but looks like a teenager.

The book keeps readers captivated. From traveling between the real world and the time loop where all the peculiars live to the romance between Emma and Jacob, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children contains many secrets that are just waiting to be spilled. The last few 70 pages are extremely action-packed and you will not want to put the book down.

This novel is being adapted into a film that will be out in theaters on Sept. 30, 2016. Make sure to buy the series and read it before the movie premieres. Some may be skeptical about the film due to the trailer, but hopefully it is as good as the book. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is definitely a good read for those who love creepy but action-packed books.