8 Ways to Budget Prom

As prom approches, seniors begin to set a budget for prom.

giphy.com

Brianna Valdes, Staff Writer

Overall, senior year is one of the most expensive years of high school because of activities such as Senior Picnic, GradBash and Prom. Prom isn’t only about purchasing a ticket; for both girls and boys, a lot of money is spent leading up to the big night. To remedy this money problem, here are ways to save money instead breaking the bank for one night.

Guys

1. Rent Don’t Buy!

Buying a tuxedo or suit is very expensive, especially since every piece of the ensemble can be quite pricey. Those who choose to buy their prom outfit find the suit or tuxedo as a burden, since they might grow out of it or have no other reason to wear it. To avoid this hassle, renting your prom suit t is the perfect alternative.

2. Pass on Renting Accessories 

Accessories like hats and pocket squares all cost extra. In order to save money on these unnecessary extras, find cheaper ones online or at discount stores such as Ross or Marshalls. Besides, some of these accessories will eventually become outdated-they are easily misplaced and therefore not worth the hassle or expense.

Girls

3. Shop Out-of-Season 

As prom season approaches, dresses become a little more expensive. Shopping before prices sky rocket is a clever alternative to avoid absurd mark-ups. Additionally, “in-season” prom gowns tend to be overpriced since they are also being sold for their trendy appeal; and most likely dresses of similar cut or style can be found from past seasons-at much lower cost. Shopping online for prom dresses from the previous seasons is a great way to save money and also ensure that nobody has your dress!

4. Buy a Used Dress

Buying a used dress is a great way to stay within budget. Usually, prom dresses are only worn once and it’s a waste to keep an expensive gown hidden away for the rest of time. Thrift stores aren’t the only places to find a cheap dress, one can also borrow or buy a one from a friend or family member. This is an inexpensive and creative alternative to finding a dress.

Hair and Makeup 

5. Visit the Cosmetics Counter 

Going to a makeup counter is a great way to get an economical makeover for prom. In fact, Sephora has a promotion that offers a customer a complimentary makeover if they buy a minimum amount of makeup. Visiting these counters is an affordable way to get makeup done.

6. Makeup tutorials

Watching makeup tutorials on Youtube is a free way of doing your own makeup. This is also a learning experience and helps one expand on their knowledge of makeup. Doing makeup yourself is a free and fun way of getting dolled up for prom.

Transportation

7. Split the Cost with Friends

Having a limo service pick you up can be pricey. Splitting the cost with a few friends lessens the renting price and doesn’t make it seem like such an extravagant expense.

“I think once I get to my senior year in high school I’ll want to budget prom and save money since the following year I will be attending college. Looking at it now, I think I will split the cost and do most things with my friends to save money,” freshman Matthew Enriquez said

Flowers

8. Make your Own Corsage

Like the makeup tutorials, there are tutorials on how to make your own corsage. This is an affordable way to have your own corsage and also a way to show your creative side at prom.

Prom is one of the most expensive nights of senior year. In order to keep a budget, these ideas can help save a lot of money that can be used for other things, like a nice trip with friends.