Bring Back Etiquette

Emily Simon, Staff Writer

In modern social gatherings, what was once was a black and white process has become a middle-grey area. Etiquette has always been present amongst meetings of friends and family, but recently it has faded away, replaced by a new system where people lack basic civil responsibilities. It is time to reintroduce etiquette in the hopes that a few people will reject the ambiguity of current social trends and adopt more respectable conduct.

Check the time while preparing for an event to prevent delays.
techcrunch.com

Be on time. 

Nowadays, people are always running late. Whether it be to class, a movie, or a party, no one follows the given time on invitations anymore. When going out, be sure to cancel in advance if the need arises, otherwise respect your company’s time and be punctual.

“It’s important to be timely to any gathering as it shows that you have respect for the person hosting the event,” sophomore Pablo Hanono said.

Give your date your full attention. 

We now live in a world with constant distractions. They range from the hundreds of notifications we receive on our phones to the television screens displayed in several dining areas. Thus causing us to get distracted by checking how many likes have been received  or trying to see the score of the game. Becoming distracted when talking with someone can be rude as you should be giving undivided attention in a conversation. To avoid this, put your phone on silent and away when engaging in any conversation.

When attending a party, bring something for the host.

In almost every television show or movie, there is one scene where someone gives a small token, usually edible, to the host to show gratitude for inviting them into their home. This practice is not limited to the big screen and it should be implemented in modern gatherings. Examples of what to gift the host include flowers, chocolates, and jams or jellies, just to name a few. This is an important rule to follow as it is an excellent way to show appreciation to the host for allowing you to come to the event taking place.

“My mom always explained to me that it is very important to never show up to an event empty-handed, because bringing something inexpensive and simple may not be hard for yout to do but goes a long way in expressing gratitude to whoever is entertaining the event,” sophomore Brianna Curran said.

Give your company your undivided attention at every meal.
adventurejay.com
Wait for everyone to receive their order before commencing to eat at every meal.

Wait for everyone to be served before you begin eating.

Often times, in sit down restaurants or a buffet style event, there can be discrepancies in the order of how food is served. This can leave people at the table sitting with empty plates once you have already received your meal. Although it can be tempting to begin eating, you should refrain until all the members of your party have received their order as well, showing common courtesy toward your company.

These are just a few practices that should be followed in social situations to overall better your character. These ideas are just suggestions as opposed to requirements and can be mixed and matched with several other rules of etiquette to display your respect toward those who share your company.