The End-Zone in Friend-Zone

Cameryn Padron

At times, it can be difficult to navigate new relationships.

Mia Galex, Staff Writer

Not every couple works out like Chandler and Monica from Friends. Dating within friend groups often leads to conflict and jealousy, but luckily here are a few tips that may help:

In the beginning stages of a relationship, it may be hard to find a way to tell your friends, but it is a lot easier than you would think. When breaking the news make sure to keep it simple, let your friends know that nothing between you guys is going to change, and promise to keep the PDA to a minimum. This can be hard, of course, but remember that PDA can make any situation awkward, and you DO NOT want to make your friends feel awkward.

If you and your Significant Other (S.O.) are dating and were previously friends, you have already seen each other at your best and worst. Not to mention you already know everything about each other, making it easier to avoid the stage of awkwardness that accompanies the beginning of a relationship. But, despite this, it is very important to consider what is at risk.

Before you start dating I think you should consider if it is really worth risking your friendship over a relationship that will most likely not last.

— sophomore Audrey Weigel

As people mature their personalities change and they realize they are not as perfect for each other as they previously thought they were. In case of a breakup, remember that regaining your friendship with your now ex-S.O. can be difficult and maybe even a stretch, but it is definitely not impossible! It may take a few weeks or even a couple months, but remember to not force it. Jumping into a friendship too soon after the breakup can prevent the both of you from moving on–or worse, keep the two of you from ever getting back to normal or near-normal. And as if it needs mentioning, DO NOT make your friends pick sides; it leads to so many unnecessary problems and nobody ever wins. Your will simply have to be understanding and give you both time to get back to normal.

I think that dating in a friend group is acceptable and can be really rewarding, but the aftermath has to be dealt with maturely. I have seen exes stay friends and not make it awkward so I stand by it, but it is hard to make it work.

— senior Thomas Martinez

Even though high school relationships are hard, and do not always work out the way you want them to, it is not impossible to have a great friendship afterwards.