Lady Cavalier Softball Team Playoff Against American

The+Lady+Cavs+won+against+American+High+4-1.+

Laura Espinoza

The Lady Cavs won against American High 4-1.

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

Ending the season, the softball team played American High on Tuesday, May 9 at Gables. The game was a playoff game for the Regional Semi-finals. Luckily for the girls, they experienced a 4-1 win against American.

“The girls throughout the year had their ups and downs. However, they started playing better during GMAC, which was the week before playoffs started. Thankfully, we peaked at a great time during our season. We came in second in GMAC, won districts for the forth straight year, and then made it to the regional finals. It was only the second time in Gables’ softball history that we play in the Regional Finals,” Ms. De la Vega said.

The Lady Cavs worked as a team in order to get their big win. Rebecca Rodriguez was able to hit a double bringing in a run, Natalie Regalado had a single which brought in a run, and Alianna Bonilla hit a ball to left fielder who misplayed it with Gables taking advantage and scoring two runs during that play. Without everyone pitching in, they would not have been able to get the four runs. Sydney Pell pitched four full innings only giving up one run. Also, Bonilla came in the fifth quarter to finish the game, allowing Pell get the win and Bonilla to get the save.

This season was great! I’m really proud of my team and how far we have come this year. Honestly, we didn’t end the season the way we would have wanted, but there’s nothing we can do about it. However, we did well and we got much closer as a team and we grew as individuals.

— sophomore Ericka Eusebio

After beating American on Tuesday, the Lady Cavs faced Palmetto Friday night at Palmetto Bay Park. Unfortunately for the girls, they lost to Palmetto 6-0. Most of the players on the Softball team are underclassmen and there are only two seniors and two juniors on the team. The Lady Cavs’ two pitchers are both freshman, so Gables is definitely going to be a power house on the field in the future.