Swimming Takes on GMAC

Hannah Cordes

Alfredo Wolfermann warms up for his 100-yard breaststroke.

Hannah Cordes, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Oct. 11, the Cavalier swim team attended the Greater Miami Athletic Conference (GMAC). The girls placed top eight in the conference and kept close with some of the other teams on points; the men’s team sadly did not place top eight. Although the team did not score as well as previous years there were many great efforts.

“We didn’t place as high as we would’ve liked, but I think the overall effort of the team was there. We had a couple of good times here and there, so overall the meet was good,” senior team captain, Sigurd Ozols said.

On the girls’ side, key performers were Hannah Cordes, Hannah Banciella, Camila Torres, along with many others. Cordes placed third in both the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley. The girl’s did run into a few bumps when their 200-yard freestyle relay was disqualified due to technicalities. On the men’s side Sigurd Ozols, Orlando Montejo, Alfredo Wolfermann were some of the big factors on the men’s side. Wolfermann placed fourth in the 100-yard breaststroke.

“GMACs was a great experience, just like last year. The team grew closer and we enjoyed ourselves while giving it our all in the pool,” sophomore Alfredo Wolferman said.

The team is ready to take on the rest of the season with the district, regional and state championships just around the corner. Make sure to cheer on your fellow Cavaliers on their road to states!