Gables’ Wrestling Wins Ransom Duals

Cavan Wlson, Sports Editor

On Thursday, Jan. 14, the Cavalier wrestling team faced off against the South Miami Cobras and Ransom Everglades High school. The Cavaliers defeated both teams in their dual matches against each school to give themselves the victory. Gables defeated Ransom with a score of 39-9 and then went on to beat South Miami with a score of 53-18. Many individual Cavaliers also had great performances to contribute to this victory. It was a good win for the team and a great way for them to prepare for upcoming matches.

“The team has been very welcoming. I’m happy that I won and that the team did fine, but I know we can all improve in our future matches,” freshman Matthew Wagner said.

Wagner won his individual match in the 113 lb. competition against Ransom. Freshman Doug Ponce won the 145 lb. weight group against Ransom and Junior Melek Robinson won the 152 lb. match. The team struggled a little after this, but senior Alexis Izaguirre picked it back up with a win in the 195 lb. match against Ransom. After that, freshman Christophe Berryhill won his 220 lb. match, leading to the Cavaliers stomping by Ransom with a victory margin of 30 points. The Cavaliers saw similar success against the South Miami Cobras. Junior Carlos Leon won his 120 lb. match, junior Noah Pla won the 126 lb. match and senior Michael Castro was victorious in the 132 lb. weight group. To finish off the night for the Cavaliers, sophomore Jaafari Stephens won the Heavyweight division to secure a Cavalier victory of  53-18.

“It was a good win for the team and also a great rivalry win. I am looking forward to going to states and doing the same thing I did today,” Stephens said.

The wrestling team have been having a strong season so far and look to continue to perform in their upcoming matches. With the season coming closer to its end, the wrestling team is putting in a lot of work to make sure they are prepared for the big tournaments. Be sure to catch these Cavaliers in action at their next match on Saturday, Jan. 30 for the District Duals in our very own Cavalier Gym.