Gables Swimming Attends GMACs

Hannah Cordes

Hannah Cordes

“Swimmers: take your marks – go!”

Robert DeDonatis, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Oct. 8,  Gables was among multiple high schools to venture to The Greater Miami Athletic Conference (GMAC) meet. It was a somewhat gloomy event; our girl Cavaliers took home a satisfying fifth place and the boys took home a lackluster tenth.

During the meet, the Cavaliers seemed to struggle in some of their competitions; the boys obtained eighth place in the 200-yard Medley Relay and 10th in the 200-yard Freestyle Relay. Freshman Alfredo Wolfermann was a standout name after he got sixth place in the boys’ 100-yard Backstroke.

On the girls’ side however, things were looking brighter. The girls scored fourth in the 200-yard Medley Relay – only two seconds behind the first place position. Some honorable names of the competition were Camilla Perez, who got sixth in the girls’ 200-yard Freestyle Event, junior Hannah Cordes, who got fourth in the girls’ 200-yard individual medley and third in the girls’ 500-yard freestyle, and Guillermina Pons, who scored ninth in the girls’ 50-yard Freestyle. Hannah Banciella also had a successful day, getting fifth place in the girls’ 100-yard Backstroke and third in the girls’ 100-yard Freestyle.

“We lost a lot of our strong swimmers this year, so we didn’t do as well as last year. Even so, we put in all our effort, and our spirit definitely showed. We did pretty well in the individual and relay races overall, but there is some room for improvement. I’d say we’d need the most improvement in our relays, because that’s what took us all the way to states last year. Overall, I felt that we could have done better, but next year we’re definitely going to give it our all,” sophomore Leila Iskanderani said.

Although the team didn’t do as well as last year, this is to be expected with the departure of integral team members. However, the boys’ swim team does show some promise with up and comers rising to the occasion. Be sure to catch our Cavalier swimmers at Districts on Oct. 29.