Gables VS Miami High Girls Volleyball

Kelly Hanley

Natalie Regalado ready to serve the ball

Cameryn Padron, Photographer

Already half way through the season, the Gables junior varsity and varsity girls volleyball teams have been working hard trying to work their way to victory. The junior varsity team beat the Miami High Sting Rays within only two sets. At the beginning of the first set, the Sting Rays were up by eight points until Gables made an amazing comeback with serves and spikes. The first set was very close at 25-18. As the second set came along Gables was up by nine. Ashley Cedano served a lot in the game scoring the team seven points. Sydney Scanlon had great approaches and helped the team hit their way to victory. Already having won three games in a row, the junior varsity team is hoping to win more in the future.

“I thought our team played really well. I was impressed with how great we did and got to beat our rival school,” freshman Isabella Morina said.

The beginning of the varsity game was really tough. Gables faced a big challenge when Miami High beat them in their set at 22-25. It was a close game; Yara Faur came from 16 points to 22 points giving Gables a big lead. In the second set, Natalie Regalado served, spiked and passed amazing balls. The team worked hard together trying to fix their mistakes. The final score for varsity in set two was 20-25 and they finished set three 17-25.

“I was disappointed in yesterday’s game because the team is so much better then how they played. We have so much potential. We just need to learn how to reach it and stay up at that level,” coach De La Vega said.

Although varsity was not able to beat the Miami High String Rays, they plan to continue the season with determination.