Matthew Monjarrez: Rolling and Bowling

Parent of Matthew Monjarrez

Junior Matthew Monjarrez strikes up a great score for the Gables Bowling team.

Kelly Hanley, Staff Writer

Junior Matthew Monjarrez has been bowling since his freshman year of high school, and has always had a great passion for the sport. He has been the captain of the Gables bowling team for the past two years. Monjarrez was chosen as team captain by Coach Campagna for his large amount of skill and impressive leadership qualities. He was a member of the first bowling team, and he is working as hard as he can not only to improve his bowling, but also to help his teammates better their scores.

“Although we didn’t pull through last year, I believe that if we train enough and really want it, we can definitely go far and possibly bring home a title,” Monjarrez said.

Although the Gables team did not place in the 2013-2014 school year, Monjarrez won third place individually. He hopes to improve the overall performance of the team in order to qualify for state championships this year. He began bowling when he got his brother a bowling ball as a gift. During the summer, Monjarrez was free to bowl, so he and his brother decided to take advantage of that and do so as much as they could. As he continued to bowl, he began to truly enjoy the sport. By the end of the summer, he had taken a few lessons, and so he decided to try out for the new Gables bowling team. He eventually became the captain and still holds the title.

“I really think Gables has a shot at making states. We have the dedication that every successful team sport requires,” Monjarrez said.

When he’s not bowling, Monjarrez takes part in other school activities. He is the treasurer of both the chess and robotics clubs, and enjoys both of them greatly. When Monjarrez is not consumed by homework or taking part in school activities, he is usually on Netflix or playing ultimate frisbee with friends. Monjarrez has an interest in computer science and wants to study it in the future and possibly pursue a career in the field. He is currently in the International Baccalaureate program and finds it a challenge, but in the best way possible.

“I like how I’m involved in other things besides bowling. I really enjoy the other clubs that I’m in because they’re a great way to meet new people. Since I’m the treasurer of both the chess and robotics club, I enjoy the sense of responsibility it gives me,” Monjarrez said.

The Gables Bowling team is improving with every practice and is getting closer to success as the days go by. Thanks to Matthew Monjarrez, the bowling team will pull through the season well.