Lady Cavaliers Reach Home As Softball District Champions

The Lady Cavaliers worked hard throughout the season to accomplish this title and will continue with determination as they head to nationals.

Laura Stieghorst

Valerie Montesino, Contributor

On April 17, 2014 the Lady Cavalier’s softball team faced the Ferguson Falcons for the District Championship title. At one o’clock, the team left Gables and drove to Coral Park Senior High School, where the game was to be held. The girls had played Ferguson earlier in the season and lost by ten, but this did not discourage them at all. Although the Lady Cavs’ record may have put the game in Ferguson’s favor, the girls proved their doubters wrong and won the game with a final score of 5-3.

The softball season began with a rough start for the girls, and as a result, they decided to come together as a team for bonding activities. From bike rides through the Everglades to field days on their home field, their relationship as a team only got better and evidently brought them to their new found success.

In order to play in the championship game, they needed to beat Southwest the day before. Southwest’s softball team, like Ferguson, had also beat the Lady Cavaliers by a large lead earlier in the season. After playing Southwest again, and winning, the team was determined to beat Ferguson by playing aggressively.

“I didn’t know exactly what to expect after beating Southwest the night before, a team we had also lost to. We all went into the game with nothing to lose,” shortstop junior Catarina Ruggiano said.

Scoring two runs in the first inning set the positive environment for the entire game. Pitcher Chanel Wilson got on base and scored on a squeeze bunt from catcher Crystal Dingle. In the third inning, Meghan Ballard hit a double and Emma Cavo brought her in.

Defensively, the ladies were also ‘on point’. First baseman Lauren Perna blocked first base on a controversial call that the girls were able to get the out on. There was a bunt and Perna caught the ball. A Ferguson Falcon ran right into her causing a huge collision. Perna held onto it and the runner was called out. Wilson pitched all seven innings striking out three, and only allowing three runs.

For most of the girls, this was their first time being District Champions as well as their first time playing in a District Championship game, but for senior Crystal Dingle, it was her second. It was only two years ago that Gables also took the title of District Champions and Dingle was only a freshman.

“It felt good winning, not only because I was the only one to have two titles, but because I wanted to win another title since I won my first one freshman year. The feeling was so much more intense seeing that I came into Gables a district champion and now leaving as a district champion.  It couldn’t have been better than to beat the two teams that mercy ruled us twice, and show them that they never truly deserved those wins,” catcher senior Crystal Dingle said.

The girls don’t just stop here. They will continue to work hard everyday to advance in regionals.