Cavalier Nation Takes Down the Killian Cougars

Sep 18, 2016

Friday, Sep. 16, the Cavalier football team took on the Killian Cougars and came out victorious. The Cavaliers conquered the Cougars with a whopping score of 36-6. The Cavaliers controlled the field the whole game and despite a few bumps in the road they came out on top.

“This game was super hectic compared to the other games, especially with all the injuries. All of the other past games the most we would deal with was a cramp, but there were so many injuries this time we actually got more hands on experience than usual,” senior athletic trainer Ruth Zagales said.

The game started out with the Cavaliers tackling the Cougars in their own end zone, which is also called a safety. This gave the Cavaliers a nice two point lead at the start of the game. The two teams pushed back and forth at each other the rest of the quarter. When it came to less then eight minutes left in the second quarter the Cavaliers found themselves on the two yard line, which soon became the one yard line because of a penalty against Killian. The Cavaliers were then able to sneak their way into the end zone and soon followed with an extra point field goal kick. The tables took and turn for the worse when they lost Johnny Ford due to an ankle injury. Earlier in the game, the Cavaliers also lost Sebastian Riella, the main kicker, was hit hard and was carried off the field with a dislocated shoulder.

“Losing Johnny Ford made us come together a bit because we had to step it up and we needed everybody and we just had to work together and stay up,” senior Kevin Romer[#4] said.

However, this did not stop the Cavaliers. At two minutes until half time, they rushed in for a touchdown that followed with another extra point field goal kick. This left Killian scoreless in the first half with a score of 16-0. The Cavaliers kept on fighting regardless of how much they were ahead by, and fight they did, managing to score another touchdown and put seven more points on the board. This left the score at 23-0 with the Cougars still scoreless. Shortly after the Cavaliers’ third touchdown, a field goal was made, giving the Cavaliers in even bigger lead. The score was 30-0 when Killian fumbled the ball and Christopher Moll from the Cavaliers recovered it. Sadly the Cavaliers could not take advantage of this opportunity  because not long after, Killian intercepted the ball and ran it in for a touchdown. The Cavaliers managed to stop Killian’s attempt at a two point conversion leaving the score 30-6. The Cavaliers then had a good return, and this got them to the Cougar’s 46 yard line.  The Cavaliers managed to run in another touchdown before the game ended, leaving the score 36-6. The Cougar’s stopped the kick, so no extra point was received. Throughout the fourth quarter there were many big plays, but no points were added to the board.

“It’s possible, there is greatness within every one of us, you just have to WORK without fear to achieve it. We had a few injuries but we will attack the rest of the season with even more vigor and relentlessness #THEfireRISES,” Coach Roger Pollard said.

After the Killian game, the Cavaliers continued their dominance this season changing their winning streak to five games. Make sure to come and support the team in their next game against Miami High on Sep. 30 at 7:30 PM at Curtis Park.