Mrs. Armenteros: A Lover of Literature

Mrs. Armenteros is really passionate about her students and their learning.

Yeileny Lopez

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

Mrs. Armenteros is an IB and honors English teacher at Coral Gables Senior High. She is a lover of literature.

Armenteros was fortunate to spend a semester abroad studying at the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon- Avon, the birth place of William Shakespeare. Armenteros loves to read, going to country music concerts, spending time with friends and family, and she never misses an episode of Greys Anatomy. Reading is an escape for her. She loves getting lost in a book and just being able to forget what’s going on in the real world. She thinks it’s nice to get away sometimes. Her other hobbies are just for fun. Her favorite author is Shakespeare. For her, his language is rich, his characters are complex, and many of his themes- love, honor, bravery, retribution- still resonate today. She is unable to pick her favorite book because it’s so hard. “That’s like asking a mother to choose her favorite child- I can’t answer that!” Mrs. Armenteros on picking her favorite book.

There’s a lot she loves about being a teacher. She enjoys sharing her enthusiasm for literature and takes delight in listening to what her students have to say and what is on their minds. She helps them believe that they’re capable of the impossible. For her, there is no greater feeling than witnessing the “light go on” when a student finally understands a skill or concept they have been struggling with. No matter how bad her day could be, a single child can turn it around.

I was inspired by my 10th grade English teacher, Mrs. Gonzalez. Her passion for teaching and love of literature really resonated with me. I still keep in contact with her till this day, and find myself repeating her advice to my own students-“make good choices!”

— Mrs. Armenteros

If you ever have  Armenteros as a teacher, consider yourself lucky. She is amazing with her students and really cares about them. Armenteros makes sure that her class environment is fun and positive.