Cover Your Cameras!

Beware+of+future+surveillance+right+from+your+smartphones%21+

WikiLeaks

Beware of future surveillance right from your smartphones!

Alexander Yagoda, Staff Writer

After Edward Snowden released thousands of documents to the press revealing the National Security Agency’s (NSA) ability to monitor private communication to the press, the world has been wary of the possibility of their private conversations being monitored by the NSA. However, it appears that the CIA has a much more complex system that has the capability of listening through audio recorders and cameras connected to the internet. However, the government cannot monitor everyone in the United States.

“I believe that in the name of national security, this surveillance is a good idea. Many people don’t see it that way, but this surveillance can prevent future terrorist attacks and save lives,” sophomore David Fernandez said

This multitude of documents shows that the CIA has the capability to surveil most Apple and Android internet devices. At a budget of a total of 26.7 billion dollars in 1997, the funding for the CIA was very large, but not infinite-as some may believe. Divide that by the average salary of a federal government employee, $123,160, and you get a number that rounds to 219,227. So, in 1997, if it used all of its money to pay employee salaries and nothing else; no transportation, research or even office lunches, there would be only 219 thousand people surveilling the massive amount of data put out by billions of people worldwide. No one would be able to focus on one specific person, much less actively determine possible terror suspects-its intended purpose. In other words, the government can surveil citizens but it lacks the manpower to do it all the time.

In addition, smart televisions can also be monitored through as well, especially with Samsung. In the user agreement, there is a warning that the television can record all audio and video taken by the camera and microphone. So, think before you buy!

I think they are violating our rights to privacy, and even though it’s for our protection, it’s still wrong.

— freshman Ruben Escobar

The CIA is now confirmed that they have been collecting audio and video from internet connected devices.  Granted in an age where terrorism is a great concern for many some people find it necessary to sacrifice a little bit of online privacy in order to ensure those who are plotting dangerous attacks are found and quickly stopped.