The Change in Pet Stores’ Inventory

http://inhabitat.com/arizona-rules-all-dogs-and-cats-sold-in-pet-stores-must-come-from-shelters/

A new law in Arizona ruled that all dogs and cats sold in pet stores must come from animal shelters or non-profit organizations.

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

Animal shelters have the authority to put animals to sleep when they have met their carrying capacity. Unfortunately, this has led to the deaths of innocent animals just because they were not adopted. Some remedies to this problem are no-kill shelters, charities and adoption events which have been created to help save these animals’ lives. A federal judge in Phoenix, Arizona ruled out that all dogs and cats sold in pet stores must come from animal shelters or non-profit organizations. This new ruling is the best way to stop animals from being euthanized at shelters simply because they were unable to get adopted; additionally this new law will also benefit out nation’s economy.

Annually, the cost of taxpayer money to round up, house, kill and dispose of homeless animals is $2 billion. If the same law in Arizona was enforced in all of the states, we would be able to use the money to better our economy. With this law, we will be able to use some of the money previously used by shelters to euthanize on other, more important affairs. The money will let us increase the numbers of jobs for people, help pay our debts and could be given back to charities that strive to help animals like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

“Dogs and cats that are sold in pet shops should come from the shelters. I think they should also have an equal chance amongst the other breeds,” Sophomore Adam Medina said.

Some people aren’t supportive of this change because they think that it can make our economy worse than it is already. They think that this new law can shut down businesses and leave a lot of people unemployed. People are also worried that this law can violate constitutionally-granted interstate commerce laws.  An example of this is how this ruling upholds an ordinance passed in 2013 that was protested by a store called Puppies N’Love, that claims that this law violates constitutionally-granted interstate commerce laws.

It’s good that animals in pet shops come from shelters because in shelters, they keep them healthy and in good shape. Also, it’s saving the lives of many animals and that way they can be adopted as well

— Freshman Lisdeyvis Mestre

In reality our economy will get better instead of getting worse. We will have about $2 billion to work with every year, unlike before when this money would have gone towards euthanization. In the event that people lose their jobs because of this law, they could always apply to work at an animal shelter where they could help animals find their forever home. Many pet stores will actually increase their revenue because they will have a greater amount of animals to sell and wont have to breed more. Another benefit to this law is that it will create a greater variety of animals at shops, which will please the costumers’ desires and wishes; a happy costumer means more profit for the business owner.

It’s important that more states enforces this new law like. This law can shape our economy and can save the lives of many animals. Animals deserve the chance to be adopted because they have the right to a fulfilling life, are loyal companions and can bring you happiness. The national implementation laws like the one passed in Arizona will definitely close down cruel puppy mills and would better our economy.