Did ‘SNL’ ISIS Skit Cross the Line?

celebdailynews.com

celebdailynews.com

Hilda Delgado, Staff Writer

This weekend, social media was sparked with controversy over a parody skit on “Saturday Night Live” that ridiculed the barbaric terrorist group ISIS. The original Toyota ad, starring “50 Shades of Grey” star Dakota Johnson, depicted a father driving his daughter to the airport, implying she was going to college, but it was soon revealed to the audience that she was joining ISIS. While the crowd reacted with laughter, the internet overreacted and sounded off in rage, saying the skit was insensitive. SNL was simply making light of the situation by providing us with comic relief in the middle of controversy and tensity.

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 8.44.03 PM

It is strange to see such reactions from the public to this SNL skit, when just weeks ago we stood firmly with political satirists when Charlie Hebdo was attacked in Paris. Apparently, the sentiment ends as soon as the public sees satire they do not like. Comically skewering ISIS is precisely what should be done. Not only does it undermine ISIS, but it is also preferable to mock terrorists, as opposed to be shiver in fear of them. The people have a constitutional right to mock, and we should make full use of it in this situation.

“Honestly, our country is under a lot of pressure at the moment and this skit was just a way to make us laugh for a few seconds and I don’t think there is any harm in that,” freshman Naomy Gamarra said.

It is understandable that some will be offended with political comedy with which they do not agree. The public interpreted the skit as a way of making fun of the terror and devastation ISIS has caused and did not find it anywhere near humorous. However, in a time when freedom of expression is under attack, it is often much easier to simply change the channel if you are offended by a political satire on TV.