Has The Spirit Disappeared?

Sofia Bratt

A few seniors showing their Cavalier pride at the years first football game.

Gaby Diaz

A few seniors showing their Cavalier pride at the year’s first football game.

Sofia Bratt, Staff Writer

During Homecoming week, Cavaliers enjoy dressing up for each themed day of the week. Several students went all-out with their outfits – some dressed up to look identical to their teachers or their favorite super heroes, such as Batman. Others decided to stay in their basic uniforms, essentially murdering any school spirit. Over the past few years, Gables’s spirit has vanished, leaving students unenthusiastic to dress up for homecoming, support the football team or even attending our school’s talent show, ‘CavCrash.’

In order to have a successful and positive school, each students’ liveliness and spirit must serve to bring everyone together. It’s unfortunate that only a small portion of Cavaliers take part in the aforementioned events. Several teachers and faculty, as well as most upperclassmen, don’t try to promote these events, which makes students feel apathetic about attending Gables.

“I don’t bother to dress up for school events, because not a lot of people do it anyways,” junior Alicia Schoendorff said.

A number of students still believe that Gables has a keen sense of pride. Those Cavaliers that are passionate about their school will occasionally take part in some of the activities. Realistically, those students that believe there’s school spirit are most likely basing their opinions off of only one event, such as a football game that may have had a group of Cavaliers cheering.

“The underclassmen are very spirited this year and are definitely building momentum and developing their Cav pride,” senior Allysa Dobkins said.

Those who have no school spirit believe that dressing up for homecoming is a waste of time because it does not benefit them in any way. For example, fellow students will only dress up for pep rallies to skip class, instead of to truly contribute to the Cavalier Nation. Students also attend football games or other events in order to get extra credit from their teachers, rather than to take the time to support Gables’s hardworking football team.

Hopefully the small percentage of Gables that has spirit will begin to spread their eagerness to the rest of the student body. This will create a stronger and more energetic Cavalier Nation, but until then, the school’s spirit will continue to live off of mediocre efforts.