MTV Awards

Adam+DeVine+and+Hailee+Steinfeld+on+stage+as+Belle+and+the+Beast+during+the+opening+number.+

eonline.com

Adam DeVine and Hailee Steinfeld on stage as Belle and the Beast during the opening number.

Kelsy Pacheco, Staff Writer

Formerly the MTV Movie Awards, the 24th annual MTV Movie & TV awards broadened their horizons by acknowledging and adding new categories that pertain to television shows and actors. With host Adam DeVine, the show had many surprises as well as new award categories, and amazing performances. Here are some highlights from the night:

First Gender-Neutral Award

As the show started, Asia Kate Dillion presented the first award of the night, “best actor in a movie”. As Dillion presented the award, she emphasized that the MTV awards are no longer being categorized by gender, rather by the actor’s skill in their movies. Beauty and The Beast star Emma Watson took the award home, with nominees Hugh Jackman, Taraji P. Henson, Hailee Steinfeld, James McAvoy, and Daniel Kaluuya in the same category. The next award was presented by Zac Efron and Alexandra Daddario from the new movie Baywatch, to Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown for “best actor in a tv show”.

giphy.com
Emma Watson accepts the first gender neutral award

“I think they should stay with the two categories because although it is nice to have a gender neutral award, they’re limiting the number of awards that they can give out and I feel like the same people are going to keep winning an award. I’m happy that there’s a gender neutral award but in practice, I don’t think it’s going to stick,” senior Guneet Moihdeen said.

DeVine Lights Up the Stage

During his opening number, host Adam DeVine came out dressed as The Beast from this year’s hit movie Beauty and the Beast. As DeVine danced and sang his rendition of “Be our Guest” with Mrs. Potts, portrayed by Rebel Wilson, and Hailee Steinfeld, dressed as Belle. Things were going very smoothly until the stage caught fire, but that didn’t stop DeVine from putting a stop to his grand finale. He jumped onto a chandelier and started swinging from it until it came crashing down. Needless to say, DeVine knows how to make an entrance.

giphy.com
DeVine took hoping to the next level

Nominations of the Night 

The popular psychological thriller “Get Out” has been a hit amongst many, including MTV. The movie was awarded six different nominations including, “Movie of the Year”, “Best Actor in a Movie”, and “Best Villain”. Beauty and the Beast had four nominations including, “Movie of the Year”, Best Duo”, “Best Kiss”, and “Best Actor in a Movie”, two of which they ended up taking home, the most of the night for one work.

“Beauty and the Beast, I think, deserves all the nominations it got. It was a great film, with good actors and just an overall great movie. As for “Get Out”, I thought it was a good movie, it lived up to the hype, and I would recommend it to others,” sophomore Tatiana Campos said.

giphy.com
Taraj P Henson had the best expressions of the night

The MTV Movie and TV awards were a great hit, especially with the emphasis of the gender-neutral awards. Of course, the favorites of the night got many awards and were praised all throughout the night.