Recap: March 16-March 22

www.cnn.com

Recap: March 16-March 22

Daniela Quijano, Editor

International Affairs

Kim Jong Un was invited to attend World War II anniversary celebrations in Russia. This would be Kim Jong Un’s first official overseas trip.

90 decomposed bodies were found in a mass grave near a Northern Nigeria town recently retaken from Islamic militant group, Boho Haram, by troops from Niger and Chad.

A U.S agent shot a man at the U.S-Canada border due to allegedly crossing the border illegally.

ISIS is allegedly responsible for the attacks of Shiite mosques in Yemen. At least 137 people were killed and 357 wounded when suicide bombers attacked the mosques. ISIS refers to attacks like these as “the tip of an iceberg”.

18 government officials in Cuba were jailed between 5 and 15 years for stealing 18 million eggs and selling them in the black market.

Domestic Affairs

Four boys and three girls aged 5-16 died due to a hot plate malfunction which set fire to the building beginning in the first floor. The only survivors were the kids’ mother and their 14 year old sister, both of which jumped out the window after being severely injured with burns and smoke inhalation.

62 year-old Richard White attacked TSA officers with wasp spray and a machete shortly after he entered a security checkpoint at the airport. An official fired at White and the bulled hit another official who was then taken to the hospital with “non-life threatening injuries”. The motivation for White’s actions remains unclear.

A 33 year old woman is being charged with the murder of 2 of her kids and the injury of her baby in a Florida home. The woman stood outside her home bearing a knife and did not comply with the police’s request to put her knife down and was shot with ‘less than lethal’ bean bag rounds.

The birds were returning from their migration from the U.S and Mexico and seem to have died of avian cholera. Officials want to ensure that other birds don’t feed off the carcasses and contract the disease.

A group of Arizona teens allegedly planned a schoolmate’s murder until another teen spoke about the plot. The group included an 18 year-old, two 17-year-olds and two 15 year-olds, all of which will be prosecuted as adults.

A school in New York had planned to read the pledge of allegiance in a different language each day. This activity ‘divided the school in half’ and the principal received numerous complaints from people who lost their family in Afghanistan.  “A statement from the district apologised “to any students, staff or community members who found this activity disrespectful” and said the reading was intended to “promote the fact that those who speak a language other than English still pledge to salute this great country”.”