The National Spanish Honor Society

Maria Estrada, Editor

The commencement of this school year will bring the much awaited resurgence of the National Spanish Honor Society (NSHS). This additional extracurricular gathering was founded by Junior Maria Estrada and will be sponsored by Mercedes Verazain, a Spanish teacher at Gables known for her compassion, positivity and generosity.

NSHS is an organization that has previously been active at Gables, but was unfortunately terminated after many years of loyal service to both the school and the community. With its almost miraculous rebirth, the club now has a second chance to redeem itself. The previous chapter of NSHS primarily focused in enhancing the Hispanic heritage within Gables and aiding the Hispanic community through charities.

“Bringing back this club to Gables indicates a greater interest in augmenting the Hispanic culture within the school. This club will open doors for many students; it will help the spread of the language, the culture and build morality within the students as people,”Joshua Zambrano, upcoming Executive Vice President, said.

With the inauguration of a new chapter, the club hopes to, not only maintain a similar agenda as its precedent, but to incorporate unique and innovative ways in which to give back to the community from where its members originate. One of the many upcoming initiatives include sending medical supplies to Cuba with the objective of facilitating the scarcity of a local hospital, while preserving in mind the history and culture from a country so dearly associated with local residents.

The mission declared by the organization entails maintaining interest in Hispanic studies, and recognizing the achievements of the school in Spanish; however, the mission goes beyond this, it has an influence in the student body, the community, and Hispanic leaders at the local level.

“I’m extremely excited to finally be able to put all the things we have planned into place. I think this club is a great way to get involved, help the community and stay in touch with your Hispanic roots,”Joseph Villafane, upcoming Vice President of Operations, said.

The new chapter plans to have a board consisting of nine members and hopes to recruit a large fraction of the student body that represents all races and ethnicities. It is important to note that the chapter will welcome all students, not only those who happen to be Hispanic. Stay tuned, the new chapter will be making its debut at the club fair near you.