FBLA Announces New Board Members

FBLA announces new board members for the 2017-18 school year.

fbla.org

Emily Simon, Staff Writer

As the school year comes to a close, a new wave of applications arises: board applications. Whether it be for Speech and Debate or Mu Alpha Theta, all clubs must make the tough decision of choosing who they will leave in charge for the following year. On March 10, the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) announced who they entrusted with the task of running the club next school year.

“First and foremost, I am extremely proud and glad to be the Vice President of Competitions for FBLA during the 2017-2018 school year. During the meeting, I grew anxious regarding whether or not I received a position. Yet, as the Promethean board presented the slides, I found out that I received VP of Competitions and I grew ecstatic. I am very excited to work with everyone on the board for an incredible year,” sophomore Alain Perez said.

Co-Presidents: Maria Estrada and Ewan Hennessy

Vice President of Membership: Nikita Leus-Oliva

Board of Membership: Julianna Balladares and Jesse Zambrano

Vice President of Competitions: Alain Perez

Board of Competitions: Luis Gonzalez and Natalia Rodriguez

Vice President of Operations: Emily Simon

Board of Operations: Dylan Carol

Secretary/Historian: Adriana Meijaard

Treasurer: Audrey Weigel

These new board members are presented with the task of increasing club membership, registering and preparing members for both district and state level of competitions, and assisting in the March of Dimes. This year’s co-presidents consist of one rising junior and one rising senior, allowing for a steady flow the following year as Maria Estrada will have managed the club for an entire year.

“I’m really pleased with our new board members. Everyone seems really excited to get to work, even if it means a few late nights. We’re looking to grow the club and send even more competitors to States and I think this is the group to do it,” junior Ewan Hennessy said.

The FBLA board has the responsibility of assisting the Vice Presidents with the great work load they are handed. The Vice President of Membership must increase membership and register all paid-members as FBLA affiliates. The Vice President of Operations handles paperwork for the club and Vice President of Competitions is responsible for registering and preparing members for various competitions the club offers.

I am beyond excited to start working with the new FBLA board. Senior board members had to be very selective in picking board members, as number of applicants increased while number of position decreased. As a second year board member, I’m happy to have experience and knowledge of things that went wrong, and I look forward to working towards fixing them for this upcoming year.

— sophomore Nikita Leus-Oliva

Next year’s board has a lot to live up and hopes to continue to maintain the good reputation FBLA holds at the school as well as retain current members and reach to any who may be interested.